7/28/2005

Because it Burns Being Broke

A couple months ago Pitchfork ran an interview with The Hold Steady where they discussed the recent wrap up of their participation in an advertising campaign for Target. That campaign is finally underway with banner ads running all up and down prominent music sites. I checked it out and it's a pretty predictable - as poor an approximation of hip as one might suspect from the discount shopping superstore.

There is one unexpected benefit though: free ringtones! Currently available: The Hold Steady, British Sea Power, and Bloc Party. I downloaded The Hold Steady tune and it's the perfect compliment to the photo of the band I have on my phone's background. You can get yours here.

Bizarrely enough, Pitchfork also pointed out that Devendra Banhart is involved in another ad campaign for Fat Tire Ale. You can check those out here.

Devendra's new record Cripple Crow comes out the day before my birthday on September 13th. The record will be release on XL Recordings, making Devendra labelmates with M.I.A., Peaches, and Basement Jaxx. Cripple Crow is currently available for preview here and it sounds like it will most certainly be in my top five records of the year.

And, for what it's worth, I just realized last week that The Hold Steady is my favorite active band in the USA. Download "The Swish" and "Little Hoodrat Friend" to hear why.